lördag 25 januari 2014

Healthy dessert or breakfast smoothie!

A healthy dessert or breakfast smoothie!


Ingredients:
Rhubarb
Prunes
Water
Non fat natural Yoghurt
Oatmeal
Sesame Seeds
Coconut flakes
Chocolate
Banana

Last night I wanted to have some small snack as it was Friday night. I didn´t have fresh fruit at home but I found I had some frozen Rhubarb in the freezer. So I tried to think of some other way to use the Rhubarb than making a pie with pie shell that would mean butter and fats. I really wanted to make a healthy dessert and no sugar or fats added. Still I was thinking it is a bit sour with Rhubarb without sugar and sweetening. So I was wrecking my brain really. I even found I had some dried Prunes in the kitchen cabinet.

Thursday I watched a program with Gordon Ramsey and he made a dessert from Yoghurt and fresh fruits. So I decided to take the idea and try to make my own variation with the ingredients I had. I even had some oatmeal and sesame seeds, coconut flakes and some dark chocolate and some bananas.

I made a compote of the Rhubarb by boiling it with a little water. And for the Prunes I did the same thing. I boiled them until totally soft and the fruits kind of dissolving into a compote. I than mixed it with a mixer and let it cool off completely. Since the Prunes are a bit sweet I got both the sweet and the sour tastes in the dish. If I had had strawberries for instance, or some other berries or fresh fruits, I could have used that and made the compote of instead. After making the compote I made it cool off completely and put it in the refrigerator for a while to get really cold.

The oatmeal, coconut flakes and sesame seeds I roasted in a pan and also cooled off completely.


After cooling I arranged the dessert in tall wine glasses to make it a big fancy with layers of natural, nonfat Yoghurt, a layer of Prunes compote, a layer of Rhubarb compote, banana slices, roasted Oatmeal, coconut flakes and sesame seeds, to the top of the glass.  For the dessert I topped it with some slices of banana and a little flakes of dark chocolate to make it look festive. 

 
It came out as a really fresh dessert. A bit sour with the Rhubarb without sweetening and a bit sweet with the Yoghurt, the Prunes and the bananas, and a bit crunchy with the roasted oatmeal and sesame seeds, and the small chocolate chips on the top.

I had some left over in the morning and made a variation of a smoothie for breakfast. Just with the same layers, but no chocolate on top. 
  


I deliberately chose to make the compote without sugar, but if you want a sweeter taste, add some teaspoon of sugar to the compote when boiling, or honey or like for instance Agave Syrup. It would give a sweeter taste if you prefer, but also some calories, which I avoided in this one. And the sugar not needed since I intended to not preserve the compote, but use it at once.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar